Moving right along this week with the back assembly. After cutting the joinery on one side of each leg, I traced the templates for the tapers. This was followed by a few cuts on the band saw, some planing and spokeshaving. And, more mortising.
After the shaping and final surface preparation was completed, it was time to get ready for the first glue-up.
I did the glue-up in two stages, one for each back leg.
Below, you can see how I supported the curved back stretcher in order to keep the stretcher from bending under the pressure of the clamping.
While that cured overnight, I turned to the side seat rails and stretchers. The first step was to transfer angles from the full-size drawings to the table saw for the end cuts. Every end required a different set-up. Different angles on the side seat rails vs. the side stretchers. Different angles on the front vs. the back. And, finally, mirrored angles left to right. In all, 8 joints, 8 set-ups.
This trough jig helped to hold the parts while mortising.
Here I'm rounding the edges of the tenons.
After hand-fitting all eight tenons, below you can see the first dry fit of the side assemblies.
I'll be starting off the next week with fine tuning of the angles on the side joinery. Then, I'll shape the side seat rails and stretchers. Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll be focused on the front assembly. Stay tuned as my chair making journey continues.
Hej då and happy shavings!
Craig Johnson is a fiscal year 2012 recipient of an Artist Initiative grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board. This activity is made possible in part by a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature and by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
● ● ●