The brass brackets made last week now find there way into the Accent Table. After marking the bracket locations, I traced each bracket with a knife onto the wood. Above, the bracket "F" mortise is ready to be cut into the right upper rail.
Below, the bracket "A" mortise in the left, front leg is rough cut first with a handheld router.
After routing, each mortise is cleaned out by hand with a chisel and adjusted for fit with its assigned bracket.
Screw holes are bored and the brackets are fastened in place. Just in case the question pops into your head about the screw being driven into end grain on the legs, have no fear, it's true holding strength comes from engagement with the perpendicular grain of the upper end rail tenon.
I planned to maximize the available width of the rough top plank, so I spent some time to make sure it was carefully aligned with the stand. Then, I fastened the top to the stand with two screws into the two center brackets.
And, the obligatory close-up shot.
Here, the rough top is positioned on the upright stand and ready for layout.
I built a small layout jig to transfer the shape of the front and back stretchers to both the lower surface...
and upper surface of the top.
Next is a trip to the band saw to remove the edges. I had about 1/16" to spare on each edge, pretty much hitting my goal of maximizing the width. I love it when a plan comes together!
Using a third point of contact on the layout jig, I used a pen to mark the lower edge of the top's beveled edge.
Below is another view of the edge layout running concentrically with the stretcher.
With the top rough cut on the bandsaw, I sharpened-up the block plane iron and smoothed out the end grain.
Next, I fine-tuned the shape of the long edge curves with the block plane.
Below, you can see some freshly planed surface interspersed with the fading bandsaw marks.
Shaping of the bevels and final surface prep coming soon.
Hej då and happy shavings!